Nov 19, 2009

Passion for Lit: Vampires, Palin, and Werewolves

I live right by a Landmark CinePlex, so on my walk home tonight I saw all the kids (and a few Mums and Dads w/ them) camped out for the Midnight showing.  I have not read the books.  My partner, Renee loves the books and has read them all.  I did watch the first film w/ Renee here at home.  (I think we Redboxed it.)

Yesterday, of course, Sarah Palin's book tour began in Grand Rapids, Michigan.  Palin attracted a camped-out "Rock" crowd as well.

The crowds were somewhat different.  In Palin's case there were fewer kids, tweens, etc, ... And the kids that were there were attached to their families.  Both crowds were overwhelmingly white.

(btw, Fox News issued their second apology in about one week's time:  Hannity [again, jeez] showed footage from a campaign rally last year, claiming it to be from the Michigan book tour appearance thus trying to pump up the Palin fever.)

The one thing Palin's book and the Twilight books seem to me to have in common is that the heroine in both is a victim.


Hey, I would much rather have kids reading the Twilight books than Going Rouge Rogue (and it's great that kids are reading fiction, period) but it would be nice to see kids all fired-up about an empowered tween, woman, etc, ... heroine.

No comments:

Post a Comment