Nov 13, 2010

I had a little time to myself

Before work yesterday.  And I thought to myself, Do I really wanta crank up the computer and hit all my liberal blogs and get all morose before work? The answer to that question was, No.

So I curled up on the couch and turned on TCM.

Oops.

This is what TCM was playing at 7:30 in the morning yesterday, Hitler's Madman.  Here I'll describe one of the scenes I saw:

We see a Czech Mother, Daughter, and Son in their modest, shabby home in a small village in Czechoslovakia.  The Mother is putting bread on the table, preparing dinner for the family.

The Son says, Mother, can I have a piece of bread?

The Daughter says, We should wait for Father.

The Mother concurs with the Daughter.

There is a knock at the door.  The Daughter stands up and says, There is Father now!

The camera pans to the doorway.

Two men enter carrying a coffin.  They place the coffin by the dining table.  


Cut to a close-up of the Son, reaching for the bread.  


************************

Well, what do you say to that? The first thing I thought of after seeing that was, Does not that seem just like a Monty Python skit?

The second thing I thought was about Woody Allen's quote from Manhattan about the impossibility of satirizing Nazis.

I did some research on the film, natch.  Here's the imdb link.  Turns out it was one of Douglas Sirk's first Hollywood films.  Wow.

Martha Plimpton's Grandfather, John Carradine, stars as Herr Protector.

No comments:

Post a Comment