Mar 13, 2014

It is an absolutely awful thing

That happened in Austin last night, and I can not tell you how bizarre it is to hear news reports stating that "these are the first two fatalities ever at a SXSW Conference."

But, as terrible a tragedy as this is, and as much as I would like to see justice served, I would encourage folks to tone down the rhetoric somewhat.  The police chief has already declared that the suspect,  Rashad Charjuan Owens, will be tried for two Capital Murder charges.  I wish, of course, that the DA would let him do a plea deal so as to avoid execution, but that may not be possible.  Even in Lefty Central Texas.

And, I do hope that Owens gets a fair trial.  If that means a change of location, well, that means a change of location.

My heart goes out to all the victims of this horrific incident, and to all the great and wonderful citizens (past and present) of Austin, Texas.  Austin truly is one of the finest cities in the world, and no city deserves this kind of evil recklessness at a time of such civic pride and joy.












mds

No comments:

Post a Comment