Aug 1, 2010

Saw Life During

Wartime the other night, Todd Solondz new film; a sequel of sorts to Happiness.  It was very moving and has lived w/ me for hours after viewing & I will see it again soon.  


The original title for this film was Forgiveness.  


Mamet's great line from House of Games:  "When you have done something unforgiveable, you must forgive yourself."


More on this film later (I know I know), but a couple of quick side-notes re Life During Wartime:  a college student dorm room set is dressed with the usual studenty rock, ganga, che-type posters but also has a I'm Not There poster, too.  I thought this was a jibe at Todd Haynes for him 'stealing' the many actors to represent one character idea that Solondz used in Palindromes.  But I read in an interview that Solondz was having so much trouble getting permission from any studio to use any poster, period, that they used that one because the Life During Wartime DP was the same as I'm Not There (& Far From Heaven, as well), Edward Lachman.  Lachman & Dick Pope, I think, are my favorite DPs going right now.  


I can't remember the other thing right now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment