Dec 23, 2010

You know, I ne'er thought aboot

Superstar! (written by Okie Leon Russell, who just got inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.)
It as a child actor.  But my parents, bloody sick of hearing me sing, Sing a Song (that awful, so boring song made famous by the Carpenters [do not get me wrong, I like the Carpenters]), trained me to sing This Land is Your Land by Woody Guthrie for auditions in Baptist Dallas, TX for jobs that were mostly religious programs, films, cartoons, whathaveyou, ... 


That is right.  Lil' Michael Tankersley (that was my name at the time) was rolling in to Baptist Dallas auditions in the late 70s singing songs by that dirty Okie, commie pinko Woody Guthrie.  


Now that is subversion!


Here is Sing a Song, yuk!  If you were a child actor back in the day you had to know this awful song backwards & forwards.  Of course, now, I see why.  It is v simple but is a good measure for dynamics, projection, & vocal scales.  In fact, now, it almost seems as if that crappy song was written just for children's auditions!


Sorry I have not posted much lately.  Watch the The Thick of It videos, really.  They are not available in the US yet and the show is so terribly brill.  


We invent rock and roll.  The English make it better.  We invent TV.  The English, ... you get where I am going w/ this.

Merry Xmas, all!

(& some of you have kissed Tiny Tim!) 



No comments:

Post a Comment