Jan 9, 2011

I will keep this short

and hopefully on point.

I wonder what will be the turning point.  I wonder what it will take to bring respect and civility to our nation's broad political discussion.  I wonder because I do not think what happened in Tucson yesterday will be the turning point.  Judging from the political football that is 9/11, I am starting to take the sadder, much more cynical view that there may never be a "civil" period again in this country in my lifetime, that inflamed partisan politics will, have become the new permanent status quo.

The Sheriff will take a beating for sure.  O'Reilly will call him a pinhead, no doubt.  But I have such empathy for him.  There is nothing wrong to suggest that in Arizona, perhaps the rhetoric is pitched too high.  Ms Giffords campaign this past fall was particularly nasty and her HQ was vandalized.  And Ms Giffords, of course, appeared on Ms Palin's infamous (and repulsive) "Target (crosshairs)" list.  The Sheriff was friends with Giffords and Judge Roll.  Senator Kyl, other GOP Reps and Senators, the awful blowhards on Fox News would be wise to save their breath to cool their porridge.  


But who believes that will happen?






No comments:

Post a Comment