Jan 6, 2011

Saw Machete last night.

I liked it v much, indeed.  It is pulpy, trashy, purposely bad (prob should be considered camp-lite, as opposed to being truly camp) and immensely fun.

I have a couple of observations and questions.  Why did they use a double for Lindsay Lohan so much of the time? Was she not showing up? Was she loaded and coul'n't work on certain days? Was she just impossibly double booked and Rodriguez could only get her for, say, one or two days? Was she in jail? Did Rodriguez use the double on purpose to emphasize his B-movie ethos?

And, staying with Ms Lohan, considering how she is one of the most over-exposed celebrities in history, I find it just a wee bit odd that she would not do the nude scene.  Have not we already seen Ms Lohan naked, so to speak? Have not we been forced to glimpse at every inch of her very soul already? I just find it odd.  I am most certainly not pining for a peek at Ms Lohan's private parts.  She means nothing to me.  She is an afterthought.  And, honestly, in Machete, she is an afterthought, too.


Some things I especially liked in Machete:  How a couple of times after someone has been killed the v recently deceased body vanishes the next time there is a shot where a dead body should reside; the B-movie editing, particularly during action sequences; the attractive but not actress/model types who play the nurses at the Network hospital; the whole, "It is a fact," intestines set-up was hilarious; and I thought the music was brill, as well.  


Pahlmeyer Jayson bordeaux blend.

The amazing tiny tiny chicken Renee made with spaetzle and broccolini.
Renee also made a terrific boeuf bourguignon with gnocchi.
The Rodriguez who has done Planet Terror, Sin City, and Machete reminds me v much of John Carpenter.  (Both Carpenter & Rodriguez often do the music for their films, as well.)  But I prefer Rodriguez.  Rodriguez has a better "eye", his films are much funnier than Carpenter's and they are paced waay better than Carpenter's films.  Carpenter is obv an influence, though, and I suspect Rodriguez is a huge fan.

The holidays are frickin' over! I will be posting much more frequently now.  Love you all, mwah!

No comments:

Post a Comment