Nov 23, 2011

The Michael Spitler/Renee Diskowski 2012 Movie Poll!

Other than the fact the whole frickin world is gonna end, there are are a ton of amazing things that are going to happen in 2012.

Like, for instance, Renee and I have been invited to the Frog's Leap Leap Day Party for the first time evah! Woo-hoo! It will be at the winery's Red Barn, w/ bands, and food, and Frog's Leap eau de vie, and the "Rutherford Girls" constantly pouring us Rutherford Cab from Magnums.  Woo-hoo, I sed!

Plus, there is some silly election happening in November, wherein, we need to show up, kick the Teabaggers out of the House, and re-elect that Muslin Kenyan Commie, Barack Obama.

Then, there is the London Summer Olympics.  Hullo, Louisa Necib! 

Do not forget about Euro 2012.  Go Svenske!

And, of course, the Texas Rangers will endeavor to win their third straight American League pennant.

But all of those things pale in comparison to the truly, big, earth-shattering event of 2012, the Sight and Sound Greatest Films poll, which happens once every ten years.

Here are the results from the most recent, 2002 poll.  Vertigo? Really? I guess it is just me.  I can not stand that film, and I love Hitchcock.

Anyhoo, the Sight and Sound poll will probably be released in the Fall of 2012.

But I am enlisting you, all of my dearest friends and family to do a poll of our own! Soon, you will receive a ballot with all the necessary instructions (most of you will receive ballots through a facebook message, the rest through personal ballots, hand delivered.)

Your job is to list, from one through ten, the ten greatest films ever made, in your opinion.

It is that simple.

The ballot must be back to me by January 31, 2012.  So, you have seventy days, or so, to ruminate o'er your list.

I will publish, on this fauxluxe blog, the poll results, along w/ the Wife and I's personal ballots, on February 29, 2012.  I will also publish other ballots that I find interesting or special.  If you do not wish me to publish your ballot, please tell me.

There are a number of other rules I would like to spell out, to wit:

Just like Sight and Sound do, The first two Godfather films are to be treated as ONE FILM.  The third Godfather film is a completely separate entity.

The Star Wars films, all six of them, should be treated as six separate films.  I am going to be very very strict about this, and your ballot could be thrown out if you do not comply.  


Just as David Thomson does, The Lord of the Rings films, all three of them, should be treated as ONE FILM, an eleven and a half hour epic, if you will.

If you send in a ballot that contains an alphabetical list, or an unranked list (which is perfectly acceptable), those films will all receive an EQUAL RATING, e.g. If your ballot contains ten films with no ranking, each film will receive five and a half points.  There are 55 points up for grabs in a ten ballot ranking, which brings me to:

The poll will be just like the Sight and Sound Poll is, or the AP college sports poll, to wit, in this instance, the first place film will receive ten points; the second, nine; the third, eight; the fourth, seven; and so on, etc, ...

If you produce a ballot that has fewer than ten films and is ranked, your number one film will be still worth ten points; the second worth nine; and so on, etc, ... 


If you produce an UNRANKED or ALPHABETICAL ballot with less than ten films (which is perfectly acceptable), the films will all receive equal points, relative to the amount of points available on your ballot.  For instance, Donna Lewis Spitler sends me a ballot of five films in alphabetical, unranked order.  There are forty points available on this ballot, each film will receive eight points, the average of five films and forty points.

Once again, you have until January 31 to send me your ballot, one way or the other.  I will not accept any ballots, period, full stop, after that date, no matter how much I love you.  


If you are reading this blog post and did not receive a ballot through facebook or in person, just make a list for me personally, or send me a message through facebook.

Let's have some fun, right?

And finally, just for giggles, here is David Thomson's ballot in 2002.  Really, Blue Velvet!? Ugh!


And Manohla Dargis 2002 poll.  And, just for fun, Sight and Sound do a directors great films poll, too, and here is Quentin Tarantino's 2002 list, which includes Dazed and Confused at number ten.  Right on!

Have fun.  I love you all.  Look for your ballots v soon.

-- Ardent Henry



No comments:

Post a Comment