Jan 13, 2012

A couple of nights ago I drank

A very splendid (yet esoteric) Italian wine:  It was a 2009 Lacrima di Morro d'Alba D.O.C.  (The Italians, jeez.  The wine is not from the Alba region, even.  You know, they have had a significant wine industry in Italy since Roman times -- did you know that when Pompeii was destroyed that it caused havoc in the Roman wine trade and that prices rose to astronomical heights? -- you would think that they could sort out their wine classification system by now.)

Anyhoo, this is a red wine that reminds me slightly of Bandol.  It is fruity for sure, but v meaty, smoky, and gamey.  Fantastic stuff.  It was offered to me by my Vinity rep, Michele.

(True story:  I first met Michele about a year ago.  He came in, shook my hand, found out my name and said -- the accent I am about to unveil in phonetics is not an exaggeration, it is how the superb Michele speaks -- "We have-a the same-a name!" He is Italian, natch, so this last year I have met his wife and his son, and yes, he did the seven fishes Xmas deal, and he is just the sweetest, greatest rep I have right now.)

I am mos def bringing the wine in.  Look for it wherever you live, Lacrima di Morro d'Alba (do not worry about the producer.  Americans are so hung up on wine brands.  It is the terroir you should care about, the region.)

This particular bottle that I will hand-sell (for sure, and it will be tough in my market) is not cheap.  It will retail at about twenty bucks.

Ciao!
(naturally)

No comments:

Post a Comment