Jan 18, 2012

There is an absolutely fantastic film

Out there, based upon John Guare's amazing Broadway play, Six Degrees of Separation (and Guare wrote the screenplay, too), that addresses the tragic misuse of the word, "imagination."

I am beginning to feel the same way about the word, "decadent."

When did the word, decadent, become a synonym for luxury, or the phrase, "guilty pleasure"? Decadent means something that is characterizing or reflecting moral or social decline.  For me personally, it also should include something close to nihilism or atheism.

Decadent is not a chocolate cake w/ salt on top at A16.

Decadent is The Berlin Stories, Weimar Germany, the party scene from Darling, the nightclub scene I just posted from Les Bonnes Femmes.

Decadence implies the death or near death of a culture, or an idea held dear for a v long time.  Not the extra olive in a Martini, or an expensive piece of furniture.

Six Degrees of Separation did not make my list (or any one else's ballot, for that matter) but I wish it had.



All my love,

Ardent

No comments:

Post a Comment