Jan 31, 2012

Last night we had take-away

Roast chicken from Chow with mashed potatoes, broccoli, roasted red peppers, and green beans. We drank Navarro Chardonnay.  (One of our all-time favorite wines.)

"No, you were my favorite favorite!"
We also watched Two for the Road, dir by Stanley Donen, starring Audrey Hepburn and Albert Finney.  (I thought this was appropriate just returning from a trip and also because one of our best friends had included it on her Top Ten ballot.)

Even though the film is so dopily romantic in places, so sentimental, and has a treacly overbearing score by Henry Mancini I love the damn thing, a lot.

Maybe it is because Two for the Road nearly punctures all that goo by unabashedly forming an argument against marriage? (Still today a fairly risky proposition for a major Hollywood film.)   Maybe I just love all of Hepburn and Finney's fight scenes? (There are a bunch of them.)  Maybe I love the sultry English Eleanor Bron's version of the loud, ugly American? (Except, let's face it, Eleanor Bron could read my tax forms to me out loud and I would love it.)  I know I love the final lines of the film.  (I will not repeat them here.  You should see the movie yourself if you have not.)

Hepburn has never been one of my faves.  She is way too skinny and her voice drives me up the wall.  Plus, she is certainly pretty but she is not earthy enough to even remotely count as an object of sexual attraction.  (I know I know, it is prob just me.)  But here she does a fine job, espec with her comedy bits, and has one great dramatic moment right before the denouement.

(The whole passport business is great, too.  Before every major trip I always have a dreadful nightmare about losing my passport or not having it when I need it. And right now I just checked my cigar box where I keep it.  Whew! It is there.)

Kisses,
xxxoooxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment