Sep 30, 2010

It is v obvious (OU/Texas)

To me that the Longhorns were looking past a, let's face it, not so good UCLA team.  And the Sooners, though undefeated,  have played just one good game and have not looked v good themselves.  Do not get me wrong about winning, though.  (I have a game that I play w/ my sweetie every college football Saturday, in which I ask the all-important question, "What ya gotta do on Saturday?" And Renee replies, "Ya gotta win!") And the Sooners had not won a road game in eons, so I'll take the Cincinnati win (but I'm not thrilled w/ the Sooners' performance.)  


The OU/Texas series runs in cycles.  It has ever since the Sooners got good in the 50s (before then a Sooner victory was nearly always seen as an upset.)  We are currently in a UT cycle, they have won four out of the last five.  The century started in an OU cycle, incl a five game winning streak, 2000-2004, which was the longest winning streak for either school since the Switzer days when the Sooners also reeled off five straight, 1971-1975.  Occasionally, a school will win a game against the run of play, as it were.  The best example of this would be the Marcus DuPree show where OU beat a ranked Longhorn team 28-22.  It was OUs only win against the 'Horns in a six-year stretch.  


Also, considering that the 'Horns generally get the benefit of the doubt re turnover questions, penalties, etc, whatever, I do not see the Sooners winning this game.  UT will not turn it over like they did last week, Landry Jones will.  The Sooners should have some success running the ball but UT will not be shredded again like they were against the Bruins.  UT is ready for this game (so ready they forgot about last week!) and the Sooners are still struggling w/ their identity, and a new defensive co-ordinator, and serious defensive issues, particularly in the secondary, and will Jones become a great OU QB, like Bradford, White, Heupel, yada yada yada, ...

The Sooners certainly can win this game, and they are favored by about a FG right now, but, as much as I hate the Longhorns, UGH! I'm calling it here, now:

UT 31 OU 23.

No comments:

Post a Comment