Sep 9, 2010

Sontag, Kael, Rangers, Wright, GOP, DEMS GET OFF THE LEDGE, It is okay, ...

dedicated to Michael Barnes

Man, I have so many random things I would like to write about today that I believe I am going to do one of those annoying Notes posts (with bullets.) Let me stress that I do not think Notes essays, columns, whathaveyou are annoying.  I love them.  But I  can understand why people would not like them.  I figure lots of folks see them as an example of the author's laziness, or the reader starts to suspect the author cannot write well.  (Disclaimer:  I am lazy & I am not much of a writer.)

I discovered the beauty (and how they should be used effectively) of Notes after reading the greatest Notes essay in the History of Humans, the exhilarating, inspiring  Notes on Camp by Susan Sontag.  Notes on Camp is so rich yet so spare, so effete yet lively (and oftentimes v funny, not something Ms Sontag has ever been known for.)  Notes on Camp embodies Wilde's famous quote (nicked by Chrissie Hynde in Message of Love):  "We are all of us in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."  Sontag dedicated Notes on Camp to Wilde, natch.  Notes is a perfect blend of 'street', gay romantic, and spare high style.  It is the essay that got me interested (& obsessed with) criticism in the first place, well, that and all those awful John Simon books I read in the early 90s.  (I loved whenever Spy Magazine would skewer Simon, what an indulgent prig he is.)  Speaking of Spy Magazine, the other big thing that got me obsessed with criticism was Spy's Review of Reviewers column.  (I remember trying to explain my adoration for Spy Magazine to my Mum [late 80s?], especially Review of Reviewers.  She had ne'er read Spy to my knowledge, said, "You don't live in New York.")

You know, I am tempted.  I am tempted to link to Amazon.  But I will not.  Go to your local used bookstore and buy Against Interpretation (1961) for yourself and soak up the blissful, sickly sweet moldy smell of old treasures.

Craig Seligman says it best (in his critical assessment of Pauline Kael & Ms Sontag, Opposites Attract Me.):

I'd brought along two of her (Kael) books for her to inscribe-her most recent, When the Lights Go Down, ... and my ratty old paperback of I Lost It at the Movies, in which she wrote these perfect words:  "Craig-I'm touched by how worn it is." 
So, you are on you own.  But I trust you.


  • Right now, my palate loves spare, clean, practically clear-colored white wines that are high in acidity, refreshing, fun, and for the lack of a better word, taste grape-y.  The best examples I have of this are:  good sur lie Muscadet (which I have always loved), Mason Cellars Three Pears Pinot Grigio, Honig Winery Napa Sauvignon Blanc, and Frog's Leap SB.  
  • Two weeks ago:  Gallup, GOP up by 10 points.  Most recent Gallup:  Dead even, GOP & Dems.  Gallup has been all over the place all year long.  To those Dems who obsess about politics it looks like two Halloweens this year.  I am not buying the big gloom and doom meme.  I do not think Dems are gonna be drinking Champers, feasting on steak frites come Nov 3, but I do not think it will be nearly as bad as the TradMedia is portraying it.  
  • As much as I have been freaking out lately about the Rangers (& their inability to win a freaking game away from home) it is comforting to see Ranger leadership keep a v level head and get the club healthy and ready for (yet another) playoff series with the Damn Yankees.  
  • I do not have anything to back this up with but I think 'getting hot' right before the playoffs is overrated.  There are the near (robbed) Mavs champions some years back, the glorious Viking run in 1987, the Stars' conference falter to the Wings (of course) a few years ago, the Sooners near Final Four appearance in 2009, the Mavs amazing sprint to the conference finals in 1988, ... Wow, I just realized I dint list a single baseball club.  But, I can take this to the bank:  The Cardinals won the whole thing, just a few games over 500.  
  • Gosh, I would love to talk about The Kids Are Alright, it is so fucking great, but I do not wanta spoil a single frickin' minute for anyone.  I will say this:  It contains my new fave 'comeback/insult' evah!
  • What happened to Republicans? 
  • Watching the idiot Jan Brewer in a debate & then seeing polls like these, 60-38!, honestly! Arizona is fucked-up!
  • Edgar Wright is still the master auteur presently.  Scott Pilgrim is a flop right now, dying prob more than Hot Fuzz (one of my all-time fave motion pictures) did.  Yet, Wright (& Pegg when they are together) continue to make cultist, midnight movie, dvd, rental monsters, that change the comedy/action genre.  And Wright (& Pegg) do this with such aplomb, and panache, without ever 'winking/telegraphing'  their love for genre to a bored, ADD crowd.
  • I am going through a huge Wire thing right now.  
  • Herr is some Wire pour vous.
  • What he sed: Those that bitch aboot Social Security are those that which want to destroy it.



No comments:

Post a Comment