May 27, 2011

As many of you know

I do not drive.  I do not have a license to drive and I do not know poop about cars. I do not even like cars.

James Taylor with Carolina on his mind.
Despite all that I cannot tell you much I loved watching Two Lane Blacktop last week.

Drirected by Monte Hellman, Two Lane Blacktop is a top-notch American road film that was obviously a major influence for Wim Wenders' Kings of the Road (and much better, to boot.)  In fact, I like Two Lane Blacktop much better than Easy Rider, as well.

I love the tone of the film, the numerous scenes in near pitch black, the transitions between scenes, and the long silences.

This film is most certainly not full of great (or even good) acting performances but it does not hurt the tone, feel, or atmosphere of this quintessential American road meditation.

Still, James Taylor does nail one of my new favorite film lines, "Make it three yards, Motherfucker, and we got ourselves an automobile race."

It is slow (despite being a movie about racing cars) but is still v highly recommended by me.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this one too. They're all so young! There's almost something Felinniesque about the non-acting (or maybe I'm reading too much into it).

    ReplyDelete