Feb 16, 2012

Lætitia Sadier,

Yet another, in what I guess is a new series:  Women Michael Loves.

Lætitia Sadier
And Ms Sadier is right in my wheelhouse.

She is a bonafide French, Parisian, Situationist.  Mais oui! She was born in May of 1968! She had no other choice!

She is pretty and she plays a mean Moog, too.

But check out this story:  Ms Sadier saw the English Marxist 'rock' group, McCarthy, in Paris, fell in love with the guitarist, dropped out of the University of Paris, joined McCarthy, and when McCarthy broke up, started Stereolab with her sweetie, the guitarist, Tim Gane.

Psychogeography of Paris.  Linklater did one for Austim, TX for the artwork of the Criterion dvd of Slacker.
Stereolab ruled my existence from about 1991 until the tragic death of Stereolab guitarist/singer, Mary Hansen in 2001.  Ms Hansen was riding her bike in London and was killed by a lorry driver.

I was fortunate to see Stereolab many many many times.  They came to the City at least once a year in the 90s and I never once missed a show.  I also had the good fortune to see them open up for Pavement in Prague, March 1994.  At the Jean-Paul Belmondo Theater.

Stereolab's unique blend of Can/Neu Krautrock and French pop, combined with Ms Sadier's Situationist political lyrics made them so unworldly and special to me that they will always be an inspiration and an influence on any and every thing I do.

Sadly, Ms Sadier and Gane have split.  They have a child, Alex.

The groop, as Stereolab have always described themselves, are on hiatus currently.  I hope they make another record someday.  And that I get one more chance to see them.

In the meantime:

Here is something for your Revolutionary Fervor!

"I take my desires for reality because I believe in the reality of my desires."

"Ne travaillez jamais"

"Beneath the paving stones, the beach!"

May, 1968, Paris.  It took Charles de fucking Gaulle to get on the teevee and end the magical General Strike of France.  Guy Debord and the Situationists were soooo close.  

All my love,
Ardent Henry

No comments:

Post a Comment