Mar 8, 2012

I had a delightful experience yesterday

At work.

Towards the end of my shift I could not help but notice that almost an entire girl's High School softball team was waiting in turns to use the public restroom.  (My wine back stock wall is right by the Food Hole public restrooms.)  The team wore white jerseys with a gold "A" on the left chest. But there was also one member of the Los Lomas (Los Lomas is the high school that is right behind my store) team in full uniform, too.  She was chatting amiably with a member of the opposite team, leaning on a five stack of back stock wine (prob Three Wishes).  I said, "Wait a minute.  You two aren't supposed to be together, are you?"  And that got a pretty good laugh from them.  I asked them what time the game was.  Some said, Three-thirty.  Some said, Four.  I asked the white jersey team what High School they went to.  They said, Antioch.

Then noticing the Antioch girls' sanitary socks, I said, "You're wearing two different colors.  Is that allowed?" The entire team was wearing a gold sock on one leg and a black sock on the other. They said, "Yeah, we have to.  It's part of the uniform."  Then one girl looked at another, who looked to be the youngest, and quite small in relation to the rest of the team, and asked her, "Did you put them on the right foot this time?"

The small girl, blonde, raised her eyes to the heavens, let loose with a classic long Sally Brown from Peanuts sigh, and said, "I've done it again.  I always put them on the wrong foot."

It was a heartbreakingly beautiful little moment.









Ardent

No comments:

Post a Comment