Mar 14, 2012

Round up the usual suspects.

Hmmm, Ingrid, ... I lerve you.
... This is another notes column, post, what have you ... I was pretty disappointed with Game Change.  I thought Recount was much much much better (both HBO films were produced, written, directed by the same team.)  I thought the performances were fine.  I mean, when is Julianne Moore ever bad in anything? And Woody was fine, as was Ed Harris.  And I am not disappointed because it was not a hatchet job on Ms Palin.  Well, I do not think it was a hatchet job, anyway. There are many others that disagree, I am sure.  I just have a hard time believing that Palin is that vain and dumb, and would be so intransigent.  I know it was based on a book by journalists (*shiver* Halperin).  And journalists never shade the truth or outright lie, right? Anyhoo, I think Palin is much craftier than they portrayed her.  I think Ms Palin is a misguided, very evil woman, who knows exactly what she is doing all the time.  Sure, I am probably wrong, but when you are making a film, my through-line is much better than the one we witnessed last Saturday ... What is it w/ cats and rainy weather? Mavis & Molly are completely nuts the past two days ... Meanwhile, I v much enjoyed the recent PBS American Experience Clinton documentary.  Say what you will, flame away, but I liked Bill.  I liked Billary.  And Chelsea and Socks, the whole crew.  (That is Socks up in the top left hand corner of fauxluxe, holding a press conference, naturally.) They are all assholes, politicians.  There is blood on most every politician's hands.  Waco was a disaster. NAFTA? Ugh.  DOMA, Don't Ask Don't Tell? Not pretty, sure. But we had a frickin' surplus when all was said and done, a peace dividend for crying out loud and the country was in good shape. (The GOP is itching for another government shutdown this September, right before the election. Geniuses, those folks.) And I frickin' love Hillary Clinton.  So sue me.  Flame away.  There is no way I  will give you my DailyKos handle.  (And Marlene, you keep it to yourself, please.) I do not write diaries there any more, but whoo-boy, I was there, writing diaries in the v ugly trenches of the great Obama/Clinton wars in 2008.  I can not tell you the amount of sexist, ageist, awful hatred Clinton received on DailyKos in the Summer of 2008.  Or the amount of abuse I suffered just because I believed Hillary Clinton should have been the nominee.  Do not get me wrong, I love Obama (more as a wonk and campaigner than as a policy maker) but back then I thought Clinton was the right choice.  Aw, hell, I still think Hillary would be a better President.  But I am in a severe minority, I know (even amongst Dems!) ...

Anyroad, the really big news today is that, in honor of the 70th Anniversary of the release of Casablanca, the film is being shown on the big screen one day only in theaters all over the country. That day is next Wednesday, March 21st.  Just to remind you, Casablanca was top of the charts in the recent Spitler/Diskowski Greatest Films Poll.  Nick C, Renee, and I are trying to get a massive group together to see the film.  We are going to the Cinemark theater on Locust, in boo-ti-ful Walnut Creek.  We are going to the seven o'clock showing.  You are on your own for tickets, and I would advise you to snap them up quickly.  We have six folks, already, but we want many many more.  So get your tickets and get in touch w/ either Nick C or I.  You can contact me through facebook message or mavis.mike@gmail.com.  Hopefully, some of us can meet at Va Di Vi (or, as my Wife, Renee, likes to call it:  Ba Da Bing) for Champagne and cocktails before the movie.

(Yeah, I frickin' buried the lede again.)

Kisses,
I love you all,


Ardent Henry



No comments:

Post a Comment