Dec 30, 2011

The documentary Senna does not

Play like a documentary, at all.  It plays like an extremely well written scripted drama.  Many of the clues dropped in the "script", as it were, are really red herrings, trips in to a chicane on the course of the drama as it unfolds.  Plus, there is nary a talking head to be seen.  All the interviews are part of the soundtrack, with each witness meticulously noted in one of the bottom corners of the screen.  The entire film consists of racing footage; "backstage" footage of Ayrton Senna, other drivers, FIA officials, etc, ... ; and numerous clips of interviews with Senna himself.  The footage from Senna's perspective driving on the great Grand Prix of the world is breathtaking.  It appears as if he is always driving in a completely straight line throughout the race.  And I do not know poop about cars but even I was amazed that Senna won a race in his native Brazil with a broken gear box for the last dozen laps or so, finishing the race while only being able to drive in sixth gear.  Plus the music on the soundtrack, most of it by fellow Brazilian, Antonio Pinto, is absolutely stellar, too.

It is a particularly gripping little drama and one of the best films I have seen this year, very highly recommended.

************

There is one major flaw in The Extra Man that v nearly undermines the entire film but I will not speak of it here because it might spoil the picture for those who have not seen it yet.

Despite that, I liked the film a good deal.  Paul Dano is the real star here.  He gives a fabulous, tactfully stagey, comedic performance here that, quite frankly, I never even suspected he had in him.  I obv have underestimated him.  And I greatly look forward to seeing more fun work from him.

Not as highly recommended as Senna, but The Extra Man is still a good watch.



Kisses, Happy New Year,
I loooove my new Apple TV!

Ardent


No comments:

Post a Comment