Dec 22, 2011

The entry level cure,

Better than pre-scare (or post-scare) Tylenol (hey, Mo) for the Holiday Blues (and, gosh, I hate that James Brown Xmas song) is olde b&w movies, or really, any, apparently, sort of movie that I like.

************

A week ago the Wife had fallen asleep on my lap.  It happens all the time.  I rub her head.  I rub her feet.  I rub my Wife all the time.  She falls asleep! So, I was left with the television, a glass of sterling red wine (prob Grgich Hills Merlot) and my whim at the controls of fifty-seven channels and nothing on.
The King relaxes with a fine cigar.

Let us be honest, this was last Wednesday, and we had been set to watch Top Chef.  (Although it is most brill that it is set in Texas, this season has been a huge disappointment, the chefs are so awful this season.)

But before Top Chef would appear I noticed Lubitsch's, The Shop Around the Corner on TCM. I thought I would kill time until Top Chef prevailed.  Besides, I had caught Shop in the middle.

The Wife was willing at that point.


But, naturally, by the time I was stroking Peanut's boo-tiful blonde corkscrew hair (h/t T Rex), Peanut was asleep and I was thinking less about a mediocre Top Chef episode, and more about finishing watching one of Lubitsch's Masterpieces.

************

I am at the point now, that when Margaret Sullavan reached in the empty post office box and Jimmy Stewart shows his leg braces, I was near tears.

Film over!

Daddy can watch whatever he wants to watch.  The Wife is completely asleep, at my mercy for (prob b&w movie) television art.

I notice, without having to leave my spot, or pay a dollar later, that A Mighty Wind is available.  It is half way through (or more) and I do not care.

(I think of Marcus McClung, the Littles, etc, ... -- totally inside baseball here, it is okay -- )

Yet, when Mitch & Mickey sing their part on the final song (I love you, Catherine O'Hara!) I am totally balling.  In Walnut Creek, CA.  Alone (sort of, my Wife asleep on my lap.)

************

And last night, The Wife falls asleep on my lap, and I am watching Ninotchka,  ...

You get the idea.

I mentioned this to the Wife, she said, "You are on your Christmas Period."

************

And so I am,

Merry Xmas, everyone,
I love you all!



Ardent








No comments:

Post a Comment