Dec 2, 2011

Finally saw One Day

Last night.

Lone Scherfig is such an old softie, hunh?

It is amazing to think she was part of the Danish Dogme movement.

Her first feature, and one of the Dogme films, Italian for Beginners, though showing a certain type of odd bleak Scandinavian humor, still had a very tidy, romantic double "wedding" ending that you see in comedies all the time.

Rafe Spall, son of actor, Timothy Spall.
I can understand why some folks might not like One Day.  (The original score is pretty sappy, for one thing and Ms Hathaway and Ms Clarkson's accents are a little patchy.)  But One Day hits me in all the right spots and I loved it.  

I almost think Rafe Spall would have been better in the lead and it is Spall's performance, to me, that was the real breakthrough.  I love Rafe Spall.  I have not seen Anonymous, yet.  He is in that, too.

One Day is a lovely little comedy, definitely a "chick movie", and makes a great double feature with An Education.  (Or a triple feature with Italian for Beginners, as well!)

Mwah, ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment