May 15, 2012

fivetwentytwothousandeleven, Liner Notes, Part Two

Part Two of my Liner Notes Series of Renee and I's Wedding Reception Playlist.







************



DISC TWO
Standards, or What Has Happened to Them Anyway?



1.  Ella Fitzgerald/You're the Top    "I'm a worthless check/A total flop/But if, Baby, I'm the bottom/You're the top"
2.  Madeleine Peyroux/The Summer Wind
3.  Mel Torme/Comin' Home Baby    This is from another one of our all-time favorite movies and soundtracks, Lone Scherfig's An Education.  Mel Torme's Comin' Home Baby was also the big inspiration for John Lennon's monster Beatles track, I Want You (She's So Heavy).  






4.  Ella Fitzgerald/Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye    Cole Porter at his most heartbreaking and poignant.
5.  Madeleine Peyroux/Smile
6.  Juliette Greco/Sous le ciel de Paris    From the An Education soundtrack, as well.
7.  Le Quintette du Hot Club de France/After You've Gone    Perhaps Le Quintette du Hot Club de France is the perfect Wedding music?






8.  Le Quintette du Hot Club de France/Limehouse Blues
9.  Le Quintette du Hot Club de France/Dinah
10.  Le Quintette du Hot Club de France/I Got Rhythm
11.  Hot Club of Cowtown/Diga Diga Doo    "Welcome to The Continental Club in beautiful South Austin, TX, ... " Hot Club, a Western Swing band that also plays a ton of Jazz Standards, is one of Renee & I's all-time favorite groups.  They are based in Austim, TX but play up here often.  You should definitely check them out next time they are here.
12.  Hot Club of Cowtown/'Deed I Do
13.  Hot Club of Cowtown/Chinatown



14.  Hot Club of Cowtown/I Can't Give You Anything But Love    I first learned and loved this song seeing the Fats Waller Ain't Misbehavin' musical when I was a kid.
15.  Hot Club of Cowtown/Pennies From Heaven
16.  Hot Club of Cowtown/Exactly Like You
17.  Hot Club of Cowtown/After You've Gone
18.  Hot Club of Cowtown/Tchavolo Swing
19.  Hot Club of Cowtown/There'll Be Some Changes Made
20.  Hot Club of Cowtown/Polkadots and Moonbeams    Maybe Renee's favorite Hot Club track.
21.  The Beatles/I Feel Fine    I probably love The Beatles more than any human on Earth, so I wanted to soft-pedal the group for the playlist.  Still, I slipped a few songs in there.  And this song and the following one are Renee's favorite Beatles songs.  I Feel Fine and She's A woman were the A-side and B-side, respectively, of a single released in 1964.  One of the greatest singles in the history of rock and roll.  
22.  The Beatles/She's A Woman    Renee loves to sing along to Paul McCartney's crazy ending refrain.  She thinks it is hilarious.  










Parts Three and Four to follow shortly, over the next few days, ...

All my love, 
Ardent







No comments:

Post a Comment